CANADA AND ASEAN
CANADA AND ASEAN
Ambassador of the Mission of Canada to ASEAN
H. E. Diedrah Kelly
- Canada provides security assistance to ASEAN member states helping to achieve ambitious integration goals, which contributes to regional peace and security and promotes Canadian foreign policy objectives in Southeast Asia.
- As a group, ASEAN member state economies represent Canada’s sixth-largest trading partner (2018). In 2018, Canada-ASEAN merchandise trade reached $25.1 billion.
- More than 23,000 students from the ASEAN region currently study in Canada. Read more.
- As a group of countries, the 10 member states of ASEAN would represent Canada’s sixth-largest trading partner (2018).
- If ASEAN were one economy, it would be the fifth largest in the world.
- ASEAN is one of the world’s fastest-growing economic regions, with an estimated GDP growth rate of 4.9% for 2019 (Asian Development Bank).
- In 2018, Canada-ASEAN merchandise trade reached $25.1 billion. Read more.
- Canada has provided immediate assistance in response to humanitarian crises across ASEAN and has funded various regional disaster-risk-reduction initiatives in support of the ASEAN Agreement on Disaster Management and Emergency Response.
- Since 2000, Canada has provided $2.7 billion in development assistance to ASEAN and its member states. Read more.
Information on ASEAN-Canada relations is available at: https://asean.org/asean/external-relations/canada/.
EMBASSIES AND CONSULATES
Below is the list of Embassies and Consulates of ASEAN countries in Canada, and Canadian Embassies and Consulates in ASEAN countries. Please see also Information by countries and territories by the Government of Canada.
Canada’s relations with Cambodia are managed by the Canadian embassy in Bangkok, Thailand, which opened an office in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, in September 2015. Please see Canada – Cambodian Relations.
Cambodia’s representation in Canada is managed by the Cambodian mission to the United Nations in New York City, New York.
In August 2015, Canada’s first resident diplomat opened the Office of the Embassy of Canada in Vientiane, Lao PDR. Canada’s ambassador to the Lao PDR remains resident in Bangkok, Thailand. The Lao PDR is represented in Canada by its embassy in Washington, D.C. Please see Canada – Laos Relations.
Photos: Government of Canada