This page features the information from the Government of Canada on Canada and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
- Canada provides security assistance to ASEAN member states helping to achieve ambitious integration goals, which contributes to regional peace and security and promotes Canadian foreign policy objectives in Southeast Asia.
- As a group, ASEAN member state economies represent Canada’s sixth-largest trading partner (2018). In 2018, Canada-ASEAN merchandise trade reached $25.1 billion.
- More than 23,000 students from the ASEAN region currently study in Canada. Read more.
- As a group of countries, the 10 member states of ASEAN would represent Canada’s sixth-largest trading partner (2018).
- If ASEAN were one economy, it would be the fifth largest in the world.
- ASEAN is one of the world’s fastest-growing economic regions, with an estimated GDP growth rate of 4.9% for 2019 (Asian Development Bank).
- In 2018, Canada-ASEAN merchandise trade reached $25.1 billion. Read more.
- Canada has provided immediate assistance in response to humanitarian crises across ASEAN and has funded various regional disaster-risk-reduction initiatives in support of the ASEAN Agreement on Disaster Management and Emergency Response.
- Since 2000, Canada has provided $2.7 billion in development assistance to ASEAN and its member states. Read more.