This page features the information from the Government of Canada on Canada and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
Message from the Ambassador
H. E. Diedrah Kelly
Ambassador of the Mission of Canada to ASEAN
- Canada provides security assistance to ASEAN member states helping to achieve ambitious integration goals, which contributes to regional peace and security and promotes Canadian foreign policy objectives in Southeast Asia.
- As a group, ASEAN member state economies represent Canada’s sixth-largest trading partner (2018). In 2018, Canada-ASEAN merchandise trade reached $25.1 billion.
- More than 23,000 students from the ASEAN region currently study in Canada. Read more.
- As a group of countries, the 10 member states of ASEAN would represent Canada’s sixth-largest trading partner (2018).
- If ASEAN were one economy, it would be the fifth largest in the world.
- ASEAN is one of the world’s fastest-growing economic regions, with an estimated GDP growth rate of 4.9% for 2019 (Asian Development Bank).
- In 2018, Canada-ASEAN merchandise trade reached $25.1 billion. Read more.
- Canada has provided immediate assistance in response to humanitarian crises across ASEAN and has funded various regional disaster-risk-reduction initiatives in support of the ASEAN Agreement on Disaster Management and Emergency Response.
- Since 2000, Canada has provided $2.7 billion in development assistance to ASEAN and its member states. Read more.